Bette Davis, Harry Truman, and Amelia Earhart visited Cuba Missouri, why don’t you?
Attractions and Activities to enjoy while visiting Cuba, Missouri…
1. 12 Outdoor Murals along the Route 66 corridor through Historic Uptown Cuba tell the story of Cuba’s history from 1857 when it was founded.
Get a mural brochure at the Visitor Center at Exit 208 on I-44 or in area restaurants and businesses.
3. Visit Antique Malls/Resale Shops
4. Enjoy Specialty Shops such as Three Mile Creek, home of Missouri’s Largest Bed Frame and custom lodge/western furniture.
5. Cruise Historic Route 66 through Cuba.
Visit the Historic Landmark Wagon Wheel Motel & Connie”s Shoppe for photos of the oldest motel on Route 66.
See the 1931 Phillips 66 Station at the intersection of Hwy. 19 and Route 66.
6. Spend some time at the Crawford County Fair in July.
Located at Hood Park, just off Route 66. Hood Park is also a location for walking and biking.
7. Take a photo at the Guinness World Record Largest Rocking Chair, “A Route 66 Wonder” on the site of Fanning Outpost US 66 General Store and Archery 4-Plex Center with indoor and outdoor ranges, including one 3D range.
8. The Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center located at Exit 208 on I-44 offers coffee, water, clean rest rooms, friendly staff, free WiFi, and a lot of information. Pick up the latest Viva Cuba t-shirt while you are there.
Information on local businesses, events, and activities is available. You can find information on area church services at the Visitor Center.
Here’s an important upcoming event for our town: on March 23, 2013. Hundreds come to run and socialize and help raise money for local charities.
10. Parks, a swimming pool, and bike trails are available.
11. Cuba Fest the 3rd Weekend in October is small town Missouri at its best. Free narrated Trolley Tours of the Murals are available. Crafts, music, activities, food, & much more for this 2-day festival. Visit the Facebook page for details.
12. In season the Drive-In Theatre near the Visitor Center on Hwy. 19 offers a glimpse of days past with first run movies. (Check plans for the 2013 season)
13. The Cuba Lakes Golf Course on Hwy. O offers a two lake course that can be a challenge.
14. An 1873 Train Replica and Painted Traffic Control Boxes in the Viva Cuba Garden provides a relaxing stop while walking the mural route.
15. Floating, camping, and outdoor sports at nearby Ozark area rivers are enjoyed by many visitors each year.
16. There are Industrial Enterprise Parks to Grow Your Business if you are thinking of relocating to a convenient Midwest location with a lot to offer. Check the Cuba, Missouri Chamber of Commerce website for information on industrial development in Cuba.
17. Pick up a brochure at the Visitor Center at the I-44 Overpass for more information on some of Cuba’s historical buildings. Visit our 1908 calaboose.
18. See Other public art throughout Cuba. Area business have added their own murals both inside and outside of their businesses.
19. Hayes Shoe Store on Route 66 (Smith and Washington) has two Robert Wadlow Shoes on display. Robert Wadlow was known as the “Giant of Alton.” The store is also the site of the Prosperity Corner Mural.
20. Visit the September 21, 2013 Lions Club Car Show in the historic district. Visit the area murals at the same time. Check the Cuba Chamber of Commerce site for event details.
If that isn’t enough, you can visit nearby Steelville for the Meramec Music Theatre shows or see a concert at the historic Wildwood Lodge like you’ve never seen one before. Or you can visit one of the Cuba Livestock Sales to experience a little bit of agriculture in Mid-Missouri. Belmont Vineyard & Winery ,on Route 66 2 1/2 miles east of Cuba, has a tasting room and covered porch and pavilion for lazy afternoons of listening to music.
Visti our main page on our blog to read more of the history, preservation, and attractions of Cuba, Missouri, the little town with a big presence.
This post to attractions is for informational purposes. Please research on your own as times, hours, seasons, details may change without notice.
You might also be interested in our post “5 Tips to Getting More Out of Your Visit to Cuba, Missouri.”